The display nodes are primarily for graphical logins and applications requiring GPU hardware acceleration. Like regular workgroup servers, the nodes can be used
- as job-submission host
- for short computational jobs
- code compilations
- short running applications with a low cpu and memory footprint
- graphical applications requiring GPU acceleration
The nodes are NOT intended for compute intensive jobs, in particular not for computational jobs using the GPUs. The primary task of the GPUs is rendering.
The display can be accessed directly from any location, which also means that they can be attacked from any location. We will therefore
- deploy any relevant update immediately.
- reboot nodes on a regular basis, typically once a week.
- reboot nodes as soon as fixes to severe exploits are released.
We aim for a 24h notification before rebooting nodes, but depending on the severity of exploits nodes also might need to rebooted on very short notice. So please
- frequently save your work
- terminate login sessions not needed anymore
- don't use "screen" and things alike to monitor job progress: submit a batch-job.
We will take the liberty to kill compute intensive or long-running jobs.