Using the beam telescope and test beam infrastructure of DESY the material budget can be imaged: By integrating a material in the telescope, collecting data and reconstructing the scattering angle, the sample under test (SUT) can be 2D imaged in terms of position-dependent scattering angles. Furthermore, by using known material and one method radiation lengths - or the figure of merit thickness over radiation length (x/X0) - can be calibrated and used for unknown samples.
Caution: All below is under construction!
Step 1: Taking data
These is a brief summary out of experience.
- Measurement settings and time:
- high energy and high rate, for example 4 GeV
- collimator settings
- ~5 tracks per plane
- ~1-2 kHz trigger rate
- for analysis >1000 tracks per image cell to achieve a proper resolution
Step 2: Track and scattering angle reconstruction
Kalman filter approach.
- install CLHEP: https://gitlab.cern.ch/CLHEP/CLHEP
- install/download ROOT: https://root.cern.ch/
- install TBSW: https://bitbucket.org/BenjaminSchwenker/tbsw
- adjust install.sh
to be continued