For obtaining new nodes see Hardware for Linux
The first step is to register a new node to the network and to the configuration system. If you don't have already a QIP and forman account please follow the instruction in Machine registration or Hints for unsupported configurations
For desktop and similar systems we offer to classes. For further information see DESY Linux Desktop
- Green - Fully supported IT installation. Only limited rights to the owner.
- Yellow - No IT support, except trigger reinstallation. SUDO rights for owner
Your new node will need an
- IP address. So you should know in which subnet you will go.
- DHCP Config. For the installation the node needs the proper DHCP template.
- bios_Linux - For old hardware, which only support BIOS or legacy boot
- uefi_Linux - For new hardware, which only supports UEFI
- MAC address and DHCP changes are only propagated once per hour.
The information you need
- OS: IT Supported Linux Distributions at DESY
- Partition Scheme
- Network card config: IP, MAC address
For a full guide on registering new machines in Foreman, check the Puppet wiki: 4. Foreman -> Hosts
Start the installation/re-installation
To start the installation you need to set the node in "build" status on foreman. Afterwards start or reboot the node. If the node is configured to boot first from NET the installation should start automatically otherwise you have to configure network as first boot option.
If the host is not configured to start automatically from network, depending on the hardware, pressing F10 or F12 during the Power on self test starts a boot menu.