Questions to consider before the beamtime
Weeks before the actual beamtime the Usergroup should think about the needs for the experiment and get in contact to the DAQ / IT group at FLASH and define several boundary conditions:
- What kind of data you want to record in the FLASH DAQ?
- Several options of the photon diagnostic are available which are NOT operated as standard (VLS, OPIS, ... see Photon Diag pages
- What kind of ADC is the best one for you? Are amplifiers needed? what sample rate, how many channels ...
- Cameras can be integrated in the FLASH DAQ system - talk to the experts (well in advance !) if you plan to use cameras.
- For detector systems such as pnCCD imaging- detectors and ion/electron spectrometers available at the CAMP end-station please contact us to discuss your particular requirements (well in advance !).
- Do you have own detectors to be recorded ?
- It has to be checked that they can be stored on the FLASH data storage (gpfs)
- They could probably be included in the FLASH DAQ system - _this needs sufficient lead time. Talk several WEEKS before the beam time to the local contact / experts _
- What parameters you need to monitor life during the beamtime?
- how you plan to monitor the parameters (jDDD, Matlab, Python, Labview) ?
- do you need online treatment of data ( averaging, integration of peaks ...) ?
- do you have to control Hardware from FLASH ( e.g. delaylines ...). Do you need scans with online display ?
- data analysis needs
- Do you need nearOnline HDF5 files for your (semi-online) analysis during the beamtime.
- Which parameters do you need for your (semi-online) analysis ?
- how do you want to do analyze your data ? Can we find scripts from other users servering most of your needs?
- How much computational power will the analysis need (can we use the analysis servers at the beamline or do we have to use more powerfull recources) ?
- Data access after the beamtime:
- data recorded with the FLASH DAQ will have to be moved to a long time (tape) storage few month after the beamtime. During / shortly after the beamtime it has to be decided where to put the data.
Pre and post beamtime questionnaires
(to fill in on-screen)
User experience feedback form